SharePoint is a collaborative file repository with a limited workflow engine. How agencies use SharePoint varies, but it mainly houses draft documentation, support documentation, procedures, etc. Typically, documents stored here are for medium and long-range collaboration, but not necessarily for holding permanent records or the master copy of agency records.
SharePoint has options that can meet your needs:
- SharePoint On-Premise
- SharePoint on-premise is the commonwealth option for those who are looking to share information with individuals who are not within the ky.gov domain.
- If you have a custom database that you would like to connect to, or would like to use custom programming, SharePoint on-premise is a good fit for your needs.
- SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online is the preferred solution for intranet sites and information shared between groups within the ky.gov domain.
- Going online opens up the option to use the power platform to transform the way you use and work with your documents. You can collaborate together on documents in real-time and create custom forms to hold other data within the platform.
- PowerApps is a rapid application development platform built on Microsoft's power platform. It can be used to create simple forms for customer use within a SharePoint Online site.