Data Management Branch
- The Data Base Administration (DBA) team provides database support services for mainframe z/OS-based databases and open system databases. COT DBA services include all aspects of database management including analyst services, creation, maintenance, and performance tuning, repair / restores and troubleshooting / problem resolution.
Systems Software Branch
- The enterprise services team provides email, Blackberry, fax to desktop and messaging encryption solutions to our customers as well as supporting spam filtering for the email system.
- System Software
- The system software team supports commercial off-the-shelf software (COTS) applications. This team maintains the applications and troubleshoots any issues that arise by working with the owner/customer and the manufacturer of the application. One example of a supported application is the content security management suite which filters inappropriate web content.
Operating Systems Branch
The Operating System Branch includes two platforms for support: Windows and UNIX. The teams provide maintenance including upgrades to the operating systems, installation of patches and hot fixes to the system, performance monitoring, and service monitoring (hardware and software).
- Windows Server Support
- The Windows Server Management Team supports the Windows operating system on application servers, file and print servers. Server support includes patch management, monitoring (hardware and software) and virus scan file updates. The Windows team provides service offerings on both stand alone servers and virtual machine sessions.
- UNIX Server Support
- The UNIX Server Support Team is responsible for the UNIX operating system platforms. Support includes procurement activities, setup, installation, system and security configuration, upgrades/patch maintenance, intrusion prevention/detection, performance monitoring/alerting, basic database management, operating system software maintenance charges.
- Enterprise Active Directory
- The Directory Services Team is responsible for the Commonwealth’s Active Directory forest for the executive branch of state government and some quasi-state agencies, such as local health departments. Presently the team manages 140 Domain Controller servers across the Commonwealth. This team also manages 15 other separate forests that are essential to Commonwealth initiatives.
- Enterprise Storage
- The enterprise storage team is responsible for all aspects of COT enterprise disk storage. The services offered include hardware and software procurement, installation, management, monitoring, performance tuning, and troubleshooting/problem resolution. The team also creates and provisions units of disk space that are configured to offer the performance characteristics that are appropriate for the designated use.
Disk storage systems are categorized into "classes" or "tiers" of storage based on cost and performance criteria. COT currently offers storage options from tier I (highly redundant, highly available, high performance) to tier III (less expensive selseldom-accessed). Available options include Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS) options.
The enterprise storage team manages the COT enterprise backup solution that includes a highly redundant Virtual Tape Library (VTL) and includes offsite tape storage.